Friday, October 21, 2011

In His Presence

It's been a few days since I last posted and I feel like there is so much to say.  I guess starting with my very first counseling session is a good place to start.  I was super nervous going into it.  I could few the butterflies tumbling around in my stomach.  I knew I was going to have to spill my guts out to a stranger.  It's funny though, once I sat down with my counselor I felt completely at ease.  She has a kind and gentle way about her that made me feel comfortable immediately.  I was excited too, because she's a curly girl like me.  (i think there's a special bond in that)  In true Heather fashion, I talked fast and shared a lot (maybe too much).  I'm looking forward to the transformation that I'm hoping is going to come from these meetings.  I felt God's presence as well and His guidance as my counselor prayed for me at the end of our time together.

I think another reason I haven't been blogging as much is due to my renewed love of crocheting.  I feel so at peace even when I'm learning something new.  It brings me a sense of calm and accomplishment to have an activity to do with my hands.  I love that in a matter of hours I have a project (usually a hat) that is beautiful and makes me proud.  I sold my first hat today.  It was only for a few dollars but I felt good that I could bring a little piece of joy to another person with something I made with my own two hands.  It's the same way I feel after I've baked or cooked food that people enjoy.  I totally get why my friend Angie's love language is making food.  It's euphoric to give the gift of happiness to another person. 

This week at work I've had three half days, two of which were spent in training for handling students with care.  It was helpful for me to practice being the solid rock for a student that is in crisis.  It was also a reminder to me that God is my solid rock, my firm foundation.  I kept singing in my head, "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand,"  and "Jesus, You're my firm foundation, I know I can stand secure..."  It's so nice to randomly have songs of praise pop into my head.  I've notice that in times when I start to get worked up at school I'm remembering to shoot up a prayer to God and it bring me calm.  I'm so grateful to have a God that loves me and wants to be involved in my day to day, not just some god that sits far away and watches his children like little ants running around an ant farm. 

Here's a verse that has been part of our small group study that has really stuck with me this past week...

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  -2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment