Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Time to Reflect

One of my greatest sources of joy as of late has been spending time in the Word.  I admit that I haven't had the strongest of devotional lives.  I've struggled to maintain a consistent "quiet time".  This past Lent, I made the conscious decision to do a Lenten devotional.  I chose one from my iPhone app YouVersion.  This app has made a huge difference in my walk with the Lord.  Making a conscious effort set aside time to spend with my God has made a tremendous difference. 
 
I'm not sure how many people are aware of my concentration issues and my ability to be easily distracted.  These conditions make devotional time challenging.  In the past I've tried a number of different strategies.  I tried first thing in the morning when I woke up... I'd find myself with heavy eyelids and frequently falling back asleep sitting up.  I tried reading right before bed... I found myself having a similar problem as I did in the morning.  I'd start to read and heavy eyelids would prevail.  So morning didn't work... before bed didn't work... maybe midday after work would be the answer.  Yeah, that too was unsuccessful for so many reasons I can't begin to list them.  I looked at my daily habits and realized that there was a place to carve out time.  A time when I had to be still and there was rarely an interruption.  When is that time you ask... It's when I sit in my room to blow dry my hair.  Go ahead and laugh.  I know this probably isn't the most optimal of situations, but for me it works. 

This time of has been one of the most spiritually fruitful of my life.  I start my day focused on the Lord.  I have a forty minute drive to sing and worship if I so feel moved.  The song on my heart is set before the day has a chance to really begin.  It is a glorious thing. 

I say all this because I wanted to share some of what the Lord has been laying on my heart.  I've been reading from devotionals written by http://shereadstruth.com/.  These are written for women by women.  I love that.  I love that they are honest.  They aren't just for wives or mothers but for all women.  I'm in that awkward I'm over 30 and neither of those titles apply to me.  However that's a blog for another time.  I'm on my fourth devotional written by this group.  I've read their Holy Week, Galatians, Ephesians, and now Philippians devos.  What a blessing!  (I said I'm easily distracted)  What I wanted to do is share all the scripture that has meant so much to be over the last several months, but I realized that there's just too many.  So I guess I just share a few in hopes that they encourage you as well.  Perhaps at another time and date I really expound upon some of the large sections that have touch my heart. 

We had looked at this section of scripture before Easter and it came back after to remind of the fact that But GOD.  But God makes all the difference.  Without those two small words the eternal impact cannot be made.
 
I need this to be my daily reminder to be more Christ like. 
 
 
It's getting to be towards my bedtime so I'm going to wrap up.  There's so much I want to share about what is going on in my heart and mind.  I can't wait to put it all down.  I hope that through my ups and downs, triumphs and struggles, that I can be an encourage you all to keep on running the good race that has been set before us.
 
soli.deo.gloria.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment